I recently came across forbidden rice. Immediately I was intrigued. For one thing it was new to me, I had never actually heard of it. Maybe I am behind the times and not as food savvy as I would like to believe but there it is, the cold hard truth. Up until a few months ago I had no idea this obsidian colored, chewy textured, gem of a rice even existed. Being the somewhat adventurous eater I am, (I suppose this really doesn’t speak volumes about my adventurous spirit, after all this is just rice) I purchased a bag. What would we do with it?
Forbidden Rice & Fruit Salad with Avocado Lime Dressing serves 2-4
Recipe by Jordan
- 1 cup forbidden rice
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 lime zested
- 1 pomegranate
- 1 mango
- 2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 3 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- few pinches salt
- Combine 1 cup rice, 1 3/4 cups water and a pinch of salt. Bring to boil over high heat then reduce to simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes. Remove from heat. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Prepare fruit as rice is cooling. Peel and chop mango, peel and remove pomegranate seeds placing fruit in large bowl.
- Zest lime placing zest in smaller mixing bowl. Juice lime adding 2 tbsp of juice to zest.
- Add in avocado oil and honey. Season with salt to taste.
- Once rice has cooled completely add to bowl with prepared fruit, stirring gently to combine.
- Pour dressing over salad, adding in cilantro and stir to combine.
- Serve immediately or may be stored in refrigerator and served cold.