I love, love, love this soup. One time, many years ago, our family got invited over to another family’s house for lunch. We were served this soup and it has been a family favorite ever since. While it may be quick, economical, and a one pot meal for easy clean up; this soup is much more than that. The fresh mexican flavors, different textures, and colorful accompaniments appeal to all the senses. This recipe has become a family tradition that I am happy to share with you. We make it on cold winter nights, family vacations, for large groups of company, or for just the two of us when a mexican craving strikes. It may be a simple dish to make but has a complexness of flavors that will leave your diners satisfied no matter their age or palate. I recently served this to my picky but lovable brother in law and he is now a fan.
Taco Soup print
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 onions diced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 quart stewed tomatoes
- 4 oz can chopped fire roasted green chilies
- 3 carrots sliced diagonally
- 1-32 oz vegetable stock or broth
- 2 cup water (H2O for my chemist Bro)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 3 Tbsp chili powder
- 3 Tbsp smoked sweet or hot paprika (or a combo of each)
- 1 bunch italian parsley chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1-14 oz can white hominy drained and rinsed
- 1-14 oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 bunch cilantro chopped
- shredded cheddar cheese for serving
- sour cream or greek yogurt for serving
- tortilla chips, any favorite variety
- Brown ground beef or turkey, draining any fat.
- Add chopped onions and garlic cooking until onions are translucent.
- Add carrots, cooking partially.
- Pour in stewed tomatoes, broth and water.
- Add bay leaf, thyme, parsley, cumin, chili powder, and paprika. Stir to incorporate.
- Bring to a simmer and cook until carrots are desired tenderness.
- Add black beans and hominy. Simmer for additional 15 minutes.
- Serve topped with tortilla chips, sour cream or greek yogurt, cheddar cheese, and chopped fresh cilantro.
Make it vegan: Follow the make it vegetarian suggestion above and serve without dairy toppings.