I love to cook, especially when I can try a new recipe. Especially if the recipe is complex, has multiple ingredients, steps, or new techniques that I can attempt to master. I love a challenge. Yet I also appreciate a quick, easy, meal or snack I can throw together at the last minute. To be truthful, this is how I cook most of the time with my busy, always changing schedule. A dish that is easy, quick, yet at the same time tasty and satisfying is a real gift for the busy lifestyle. This pizza hits the spot and accomplishes all my requirements for a good snack or light meal. It is crunchy, flavorful, and delicious. Plus the speed at which it can be made leaves a lot of time for relaxing perhaps perusing that new cookbook.
This also satisfies my frequent pizza cravings without being the gut bomb pizzas at times can be. I love pizza so much. So much! I have a variety of favorite pizza parlors. The one with the soft chewy crust, the one that loads each pie with extra cheese to order, or the one that is hometown made, a local favorite. My three cheese pizza is just as tasty and the crust is only a mere 32 calories! I used Ghossian’s Thin Wheat Pita for the crust. It is a local company that I am proud to support. Don’t despair out-of-towner’s, they also ship many of their fabulous Mediterranean specialties across the country. Their pitas make a light crust that crisps up great in the oven. It makes the best quick, thin crust pizza.
- 2 Ghossian’s thin wheat pitas
- 4 Tbsp sundried tomato pesto
- 2 tbsp grated pecorino romano cheese
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese shredded
- 8 grape tomatoes
- Slice mushrooms and sauté in a little olive oil over medium high heat until golden brown.
- Place pitas on large baking sheet.
- Spread 2 tbsp of sundried tomato pesto (I purchased this from Aldi’s) over each pita
- Sprinkle 1 tbsp pecorino roman over each pita
- Place half of mushrooms over each pita
- Remove thyme leaves from sprigs, sprinkling fresh thyme over each pita
- Sprinkle half of mozzarella and parmesan over each pita
- Slice grape tomatoes into rounds and place half of them over each pita
- Bake at 375º until cheese is bubbly and slightly browned.
- Serve as a snack or with a mixed green salad for a light meal.